Blog Archive for May, 2010

As you probably guessed from the last post, there’s been a bit of excitement around here the past few days! Our baby girl was born on Tuesday, May 18 at 2:15. Everybody tells you that you just fall in love when they’re born, and it certainly has been true for us. We’ve been hanging on her every scowl and expression, delighting in her little squawks and watching her figure out this new world she’s landed in. It really is amazing. So far, the days have been mainly feeding, changing and visiting with family and friends… probably all I can expect to do for a while. I’ll keep checking in, though, as we get the routine down. And here are a few photos of our new bundle, Anabelle Ashe Miguelucci-Moore (I know, it’s an awfully big name for such a small person!)

blog break


Hi everybody – it looks like I’ll be on a blog break for a few days… wish me luck! Hopefully I’ll be back soon with Li’l Bit photos and a new family member!

I finally got photos of the furniture we painted… several weeks ago now. It’s amazing what a fresh coat of paint can do! We picked up the bench and cabinet at the Alameda flea market, and the bookcase was discovered under a load of insulation in our attic. I’ve been loving the new additions to our house!

I hope all you mommas out there had a happy Mother’s Day!
Dave and I spent the weekend building new garden beds in our yard – with lots of help from my brother who was visiting. While it was probably not the best activity in my 37th week of pregnancy, I’m very happy we got it done! Ever since we moved in I’ve been wanting to get started on a garden, and somehow I knew if it didn’t get done before baby gets here, it probably wouldn’t happen. We had originally been planning to just plant in the ground, which is what I’m used to, but the soil here has a lot of clay and stone, and it’s hard as rock when it’s dry. Mid-week last week we decided that we should do stone raised beds, and managed to pick out almost 4 tons (!!!) of stone at our local landscape store, and had it delivered on Thursday. Friday after work, Brian and Dave started hauling the rock and I worked on laying them in place. In the end, probably way easier than tilling the pottery-like soil of our yard.

We got the rocks more or less in place on Friday, spent Saturday finishing the beds and filling the them with new soil and compost, and planted on Sunday – the fun part! There were a few little chinks in the wall where the rocks didn’t fit snugly, and we filled them with lobelia and lemon thyme. I’m not entirely sure that’ll work, but I’m hoping it does – it looks pretty for now, anyway. I thought we had way more space than we could fill (we have about 5 times what we had in our postage-stamp garden at our old apartment), but we managed to fill it up quick with 5 tomatoes, 5 peppers, 2 eggplants, zucchini, squash, cucumbers and a little herb bed. I am so looking forward to summer vegetables! As you can see from the photos, the rest of the yard is currently a blank canvas, an awkward transition from our starting point to our dream garden. I think the rest will have to wait til after baby, though.

Sorry about the long and unplanned blog break, guys! As my belly grows, my productivity seems to be slowing… and there is still a lot to do before the baby gets here. The new website is getting close to done, and I’m working on a quilt pattern for the Monaco fabrics. Lots of fun!

I finally got my hands on the fabric yesterday, and whipped up a couple pillows for the nursery. The first project with the new fabrics! They’re really simple to make, so I thought I’d share a step-by-step today.

1 18″x18″ square of fabric (front)
2 9.5″x18″ squares of fabric (back)
1 18″ zipper
matching thread & pins
1 18″ pillow form

This will make a 17″ square pillow case with a zipper down the center back. The slightly smaller size works well with the 18″ pillow form if you want your pillows plump and fairly taught.

1. Cut the fabric to size
2. Lay the back fabric face-down and iron a 1/2 inch seam at the inner edge of each back piece.

3. Lay the back fabric right side up, and center the ironed edges over the zipper, with the edges meeting in the middle.

4. Pin the back fabric to the zipper and sew, one side at a time, about 3/8″ from edge, making sure to catch the zipper binding.

5. When both back sides have been sewn to the zipper, pin the front and back sides together, right sides facing. Be sure the zipper is unzipped about 2 or 3 inches and the tab is in the “up” position, but be careful to pin the zipper teeth close together at the top. You will need to be able to unzip the zipper from the inside, but the teeth must meet up when fully zipped.

6. Sew a 1/2″ seam around the whole pillow. Clip the corners to 1/4″. Unzip the zipper from the inside, and turn the pillow right-side-out. iron edges flat and stuff with pillow form.