We made current scones for breakfast this morning, and they were so good! Perfect for a chilly, foggy Saturday morning. Super simple and tasty. Here’s the recipe:
1 3/4 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 T. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. shortening
1 egg, beaten
1/2 c. milk
1/3 c. currents (or raisins)
1+ tsp. sugar
1. Combine the flour, baking powder, 1 T. sugar and salt.
2. Cut the shortening into the mixture until coarse.
3. Add the egg, milk and currents or raisins to the flour mixture, and combine with a few strokes until dough leaves the side of the bowl.
4. Place on a lightly greased baking pan abnd pat with lightly floured hands into a round shape (about 3/4″ thick. Sprinkle top with remaining sugar and cut into 8 wedges.
5. Bake at 425º for 12 – 15 minutes. Serve hot with butter and jam.
Leave a Reply